The church of Posterstein is in its basic elements a late Gothic building. As the church of the nearby village Nöbdenitz it has been used by the Protestant parish Posterstein since the second half of the 16th century. Animated by the many changing lords of the castle there were frequent rebuildings, in 1901 the new building of the belltower and the annexe of a sacristy.
From 1992 to 1994 the church could be restored. In 2008 archeological excavations in the interior took place. Some graves and remnants of the moat could be proved.
The carving work of Johannis Hopf
The church became famous for the extremely rich equipment with baroque carvings and demonstrate masterly craftsmanship. Two coats of arms at the gallery show the association of two important families: the Pflug family and the wealthy Römer family from Posterstein.
The altar is seen as the highlight of the works. The baldachin, on which the passion is shown, is supported by four open-work, spiral hollow columns, made of one piece and decorated with leaves, tendrils and grapes. The pulpit shows the figures of the four evangelists and is crowned by a “roof” with a tall angel on top.